Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Our latest miracle

A couple of days before Dayson had clinic he was coughing so bad he would vomit, almost every day. So at clinic when his lung function was only at 53% they started him on an antibiotic. After a week of not really eating and not feeling good, we took him in last Wednesday for another chest X-ray and they found bronchitis, so they stopped the current antibiotic and started him on a new one. Thursday night he had a fever, was in pain and it was killing me, mainly because I had hope he would start getting better with the new antibiotic and the fact that it had been about 2 weeks of him not feeling good, I had hit my breaking point. Friday and Saturday he continued with either throwing up or fever and so on Sunday morning we asked our families to fast with us for Dayson. Also on Sunday morning he refused to eat breakfast because he still didn't feel good. I had been noticing all week how skinny he had gotten and it was killing me to see him lose so much weight. I try really hard to not cry in front of Dayson and for the most part I succeed, but I was really struggling through most of Sacrament Meeting to hold it together because I was just done seeing him not feel good, and I knew if his body couldn't fight this off, he would be right back in the hospital. My heart was just aching for him. Then after Sacrament meeting I was talking to Dayson and his Uncle JT came up to him to talk to him and just seeing the interaction and knowing that JT was fasting for him, I was overcome with emotions of gratitude for our family and friends and all those who love Dayson and just wanted so badly to say "he's doing great!" But knowing that he wasn't, was just hard that morning. So after Dayson went to class and a friend asked me how Dayson was doing, I couldn't hold it in and just cried, and found Chet and cried to him and I couldn't stop crying. I was so worried about him. So then I took Paisley from Chet and went into the Mothers Lounge and just rocked her to sleep. It was a tender mercy. I love rocking that sweet baby to sleep. Dayson didn't last through all of church, so I brought him home early and tried to get him to eat something because he needed to take his antibiotic. He was able to have some smoothie and a couple of crackers. We had a pretty lazy Sunday afternoon and then we went on a family bike ride. On our way home Dayson was cold and then he did a treatment right when we got home and fell asleep doing his treatment. When he woke up we noticed he had a fever again but he was able to eat some corn with his antibiotic but he was very nauseas, so he just went to bed. After he went to bed Chet and I agreed that if he didn't feel good again the next day, we would have to take him in, and we knew that meant a hospital stay. Monday morning came and we didn't wake him up like we normally have to, because I knew he needed sleep. When he woke up just before 8 he said he didn't feel good, but he did his treatment without any problems. But he refused to eat because he said his stomach hurt, so Chet then gave him a blessing. Chet then went to work and I called the nurse about Dayson. Chet called a different nurse on his way to work and we both had to leave messages. Then around 10:00 Dayson asked for a smoothie and he was able to drink quite a bit and take his antibiotic without any problems. Then around 12:30 I asked him if he felt up to eating and he said he felt like Denny's. So we loaded into the car and went to Denny's. He and Layla both ate a huge lunch of pancakes and bacon and sausage. I was pretty shocked because he hadn't eaten that well in a couple of weeks. I was so happy and relieved. Shortly after lunch the nurse called me back and said that she had gotten a hold of Dr. Daines and that she wanted Dayson to be seen that day, I told the nurse about how well he ate and that he hadn't had a fever all day and that I felt like he was finally turning the corner and that I wanted to wait to see how the rest of the day went. She didn't seem to like that idea and made me promise to bring him in if anything changed. Monday night he had a great dinner and then Tuesday morning he didn't feel very good again, and was nauseous. I was devastated. I thought for sure that he had turned a corner. But he didn't have a fever so we sent him to school. Chet stopped by the school an hour later to drop off his lunch and to see how he was doing and the first thing he said to Chet was "I don't want to go back to the hospital." Chet got out of him that his chest and shoulder hurt a little bit, so Chet told him to just take it easy and hopefully as the day progressed he would start feeling better like he had the day before. So Dayson decided to stay at school and Chet have him his lunch, hopeful that he would feel like eating by the time lunch came. I was worrying so much about him I had to text his amazing teacher (who happens to be Chet's cousin) to see how he was doing and to see if he had eaten any of his lunch. This was the text I got back : 
He  ate all of his lunch and was still hungry so I gave him a bag of chips. He's doing well
I could not believe it! I was so happy and relieved all over again! On Monday, I truly felt like our prayers and fasting had been answered and knew it was a miracle. But then Tuesday morning I was a basket case again because it felt like Monday was just a false hope or something. But then reading that text I was a believer again! Miracles really do happen. He had to take a nap after school yesterday but he had a great dinner last night and then he had a great breakfast this morning and has eaten well all day today. I'm so grateful. So happy that he is not in the hospital right now. So grateful that we have amazing friends and family that continue to pray for Dayson. So grateful that Heavenly Father answered our prayers. Last night it was Daysons turn to pray for our family prayer and he thanked Heavenly Father for making him feel better. We've gotten to witness a lot of miracles in our lives and I'm so grateful for this latest one.

1 comment:

  1. I believe in miracles too. Thanks for sharing; reminders never hurt. Dayson is such a stud. Hang in there Mama.

    ReplyDelete