Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Dayson's 2nd hospital stay



Dayson had just turned 7 when he went to the hospital the first time. All the nurses were amazed that he had never been to the hospital. Now 9 months later when he is almost 8 he is there again. This time though, he's not nearly as sick. They were scared of how quickly things went downhill for him last time, they didn't want that to happen again, so this visit was to get rid of the infection his body was fighting and prevent him from getting super sick. When the doctor told us on Thursday to go straight to the hospital, Dayson cried. I cried. I wasn't expecting to be back in the hospital so soon. Dayson cried the entire 15 minute drive to the hospital. Chet was home with Bree and Layla and when Chet told Bree, she ran to Dayson's room and cried. The hospital visits are hard on our little family. For various reasons, but mainly our worry for Dayson and all that he'll have to endure while there and in the future. We don't think about his disease on normal days. This makes us think about it, and we all hate it. The first night there he had to get an IV. Not a huge deal, but it makes my Dayson hurt and cry, which in turn breaks my heart. The next day he was going to get the PICC line put in, but nobody knew when it would happen so he wasn't able to eat all day because of the sedation he was going to get while doing the procedure. Finally just before 4 they took him to get his PICC line. They wouldn't let Chet go back with him, but he came back happy because he said he didn't feel it. Hallelujah!! He was finally able to eat something at about 5:30 after not eating all day. The third day while there, he had to get the dressing changed on the PICC line and they had to clean the dried blood off, and that was worse than the IV. Again the poor kid was in so much pain and there is absolutely nothing I can to make it better. The nurses and hospital staff are so amazing though, and give him lots of cool prizes and things for all the hard things he has to endure. He has a pretty busy schedule while in the hospital. He does 4 treatments a day, 8 am, noon, 4 pm and 8 pm. He doesn't like eating so breakfast, lunch and dinner take about an hour each, which is super fun for whoever is making him eat (sarcasm). He has a shower somewhere in the day and he goes on at least one walk a day as well. He gets to play Wii during his vest treatments and he usually watches tv for his pounding treatments. I read him books, Chet plays games with him. His sisters miss him and he misses being home. I miss us all sleeping under the same roof at night. Chet and I take turns sleeping at the hospital and it's not a good night sleep while there. Tonight, though, Chet's amazing mother, Judy is taking a turn and sleeping there, so Chet and I can have a night together. I hate sleeping without Chet, so tonight I'll have a great night sleep, thanks to Judy. His lung function in October was at 101% and on Friday it was down to 81%. So not too bad of a drop, and again they wanted to prevent a bigger drop than that. He gets tested again on Friday and we'll know Friday if we come home after 10 days or if we have to stay the whole 14 days. On the home front, I had started potty training miss Layla on Wednesday, so whoever is here gets to deal with that fun stuff. Chet and I are trying to squeeze work in wherever we can and deal with things that we absolutely have to do. Bree is such a great help and example. The other night she was having a hard time and crying and so she decided to pray and instantly her prayer was answered and she was filled with peace. I'm so grateful that she turns to our Heavenly Father. I could not go through things like this without Him as well, and I'm grateful for the power of prayer. I'm so grateful for Chet as well. He is my rock, and my everything. One of the hardest part of the hospital stays is not being with him as much as I would like. I'm grateful for Dayson and the trooper that he is. I'm grateful for Layla because if I'm on the brink of tears or feeling really sad, all I have to do is think about her and it makes me smile and laugh. I'm also so grateful for this healthy baby girl that I'm carrying. I'm 20 weeks today and so happy that I'm half way there! I truly am so grateful to be the mother of my amazing kids, and as a mother all we want is for our kids to have a normal, happy life, so it's hard when things don't turn out that way. But we have so many things to be grateful for and we get to witness a lot of tender mercies and little miracles that we may not have witnessed without the hard times. Life can be hard sometimes, but I'm so grateful to have the family and friends that we have to help us through the hard times. So, THANK YOU for all your thoughts and prayers, we appreciate them and love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment